Utilize the Practice Plans, Skills, Drills, and Team Huddle sections of the coach app to create an impactful practice for your athletes. As their coach, you are the one who best understands what they need to develop their basketball game. The sections in this app simply serve as resources for you to utilize if needed. Outside of the Team Huddle time, feel free to customize any portion of your practice to create maximum impact to your team.
Here is a basic practice format you can utilize for your team each week:
1. Warm Up Activity (3-5 min) – While waiting on players to arrive, provide an opportunity for players to engage in an informal session of shoot around. It’s fun for you, the coach, to be involved in the fun during this time.
2. Team Meeting (3-5 min) – Officially begin practice with a team meeting to connect with players and provide teaching time for new skills, rules of basketball, game review, and encouragement.
3. Practice Skills through Drills (15-25 min) – Skills are best learned through repetition. Use this time to challenge players to learn skills through multiple drills. Chose drills based on the skills you’re emphasizing and on the competency of your athletes.
4. Team Huddle (5-15 min) – Each practice has a spiritual lesson created for you to share with your players. This is the most important part of your practice! Be sure to dedicate the time needed to make a spiritual impact on your team.
5. Scrimmage, Drills, or Offense/Defense Tactics (15-25 min) – Scrimmaging is a great way for players to practice skills they have been taught. This also give you time to coach technique and strategy. Stop play to teach as often as you feel necessary.