“Put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.” — Ephesians 6:13
The Bible uses a lot of military analogies. That’s probably because there were a lot of wars that took place during that time in our world’s history. They used helmets, shields, breastplates, and protective footwear for defense. They used swords, bows and arrows, spears, and daggers to go on the attack.
But the kind of armor and weaponry that soldiers use today has changed drastically since then. For instance:
- Soldiers can carry up to 140 pounds of equipment!
- Kevlar body armor vests are five times stronger than steel!
- Night vision goggles allow soldiers to see in total darkness!
- Soldiers can carry as little as 10 pounds of food and water that can last seven days!
- The fastest manned military aircraft can travel more than 2,500 miles per hour!
Playing sports isn’t the same as going into battle, but every athlete needs the proper equipment before competition. Let’s talk about that for a minute.
1. What equipment do you need before you can compete?
2. Show me what equipment you have on right now!
3. How does having good equipment help you?
As you practice and train, you will start to see a difference in how well you compete. You get stronger, faster, quicker, and more skilled at the game.
But you also need to have the right gear to play!
- What are some problems you might run into if you don’t have all of the proper equipment or if some of your equipment is faulty or outdated?
- Can anyone share a story about what happened when you had a problem with your gear?
The same is true as a Christian. Problems can arise when you don’t have the right equipment. That’s why it’s so important to follow Christ’s example and grow in your faith by studying the Bible, spending time in prayer, being around other believers. This is the equipment you need!
Ephesians 6:14-17 calls this gear, “God’s armor.” You can protect yourself with truth, righteousness, the Gospel, faith, salvation, and the Holy Spirit. When you have those things, you are able to stand up against Satan and the lies of this world.
You are strong! Shout it out with me: I am strong!
The Bible tells us, “Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.” — Ephesians 6:10
When you are like Christ every day, you have the courage to say and do the right things. You aren’t ashamed or embarrassed to tell people the Good News about salvation.
You are bold! Shout it out with me: I am bold!
Joshua 1:9 tell us, “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Being prepared and having the right gear helps you be a better athlete. But more importantly, being prepared and having the right equipment helps you be a strong and bold follower of Christ.
Get into groups of two or three and take another look at Ephesians 6:14-17:
- What are some ways that having spiritual equipment like truth, righteousness, the Gospel, faith, salvation, and the Holy Spirit can help you be strong and bold?
- Which one of those things do you need (or need more of) in your life as a follower of Christ?
Let’s take a moment to close our Huddle Time in prayer:
“Dear God, thank You for giving me Your strength and Your boldness. Help me be courageous as I live for You and share Your love with others. Amen.”