For quarterbacks, learning how to drop back properly is important.
- As you receive the snap, turn sideways in the direction of your throwing arm.
- The first step is a reach step. It is a powerful, quick, deep step with the back foot.
- The next steps (middle steps) are crossover steps.
- The last step is the plant step. It is a small reach step. As the plant step takes place, the front shoulder should dip down slightly to help maintain balance.
- It is important to drop back quickly and keep looking downfield for an open receiver as you read the defense.