Create a 4-cone box with each cone being 5 to 7 yards apart. Players will be in two lines, one offensive and one defensive. The first player in the offensive line will have a football.
On the coach’s command, both players will sprint around the first cone and meet in the box. The offensive player attempts to get past the defender as he tries to pull a flag. Players should switch lines after their rep.
KEY FOCUS POINTS
- Move quickly to the ball carrier and break down when closing the gap.
- If tackling head up, get big with arms out as you stay in front of the ball carrier to pull his flag.
- Focus on the ball carriers belly so you don’t get juked.
- Keep feet “buzzing” (moving).
- Use different speeds to create an opportunity to either run past defender or cut-back to pass the defender.
- Use jukes, stutter steps, and spins when appropriate.