- Area 25x10yds with 5 yards channel marked across width of practice area, as illustrated.
- 5 players organized into 2’s in each end zone & 1 player in channel.
- Supply of balls with coach.
- Practice starts with: ball fed in by coach to one pair of A’s who receive & pass, looking for an opportunity to transfer ball across the opposite zone, below head-height.
- Defender in central channel looks to block/screen ball being passes to end zone.
- Players rotate in 1 minute intervals to retain intensity.
- If D manages to intercept: ball is played to coach, who then immediately feeds another ball into practice.
- Attackers must remain in the back half of their zone when passing the ball.
- Simple progression for this practice are:
- Additional players in central channel.
- When using 2 defenders in central channel widen playing area to 20 yds.
- If interception is completed: player(s) quickly attack end line with ball.
- Add T player at either end to receive intercepted passes from central players that need to be screened by players in end zone who become the defenders.
Key Coaching Points:
- Read & Anticipate likely passes.
- Low carriage & sliding movement across area, using quick footwork.
- Looking for interceptions &/or deflections of passes.