- Half pitch including goal, with channel, width of penalty area, marked by cones to half way, set-out as illustrated.
- Players work in 3’s, supply of balls with coach & GK in goal.
- Practice starts with; Coach feeds ball into Attacking MF player in back half of center circle.
- MF players to striker who looks to either come short & receive, or spin & look for pass alongside or behind Defender.
- If A comes short & into center circle: D cannot follow so enabling A to turn & run at D.
- If striker decides to come short & spin away from D without entry into center circle then he is marked as in a game.
- If D gains possession: ball is returned to coach, with an accurate pass.
- Patience, balance, speedy footwork, low body position when being attacked in 1v1.
- Shoulders forward, weight on balls of feet to enable twisting & turning to combat A’s movement with ball at his feet.
- Reading both intent of player in possession of ball & movements to receive ball by A.
- Simple progressions for this practice are:
- MF player joins-in to make 2v1
- Add a recovering D from half way line to create 2v2
Key Coaching Points:
- D needs to read intention of A’s movement.
- D to track striker’s runs, remaining goal-side.
- D looks to dictate direction of play with good position in 1v1 situation.
- Anticipate shots, reading A’s body shape & be in position to block shots.
- Absorb speed in 1v1 run of A by being side-on to deal with quick turn and sprint.