- Area 30x15yds, divided into 2 grids of equal size, as illustrated.
- 8 Players (incl. 2 Target players), 1 ball.
- Players arranged 2v1 in each grid, with T’s at each end of practice area.
- Practice starts with: T feeds ball into team mates, who are not allowed to rebound ball back.
- Defender presses ball & is supported by a team mate from opposite end, to increase defensive numbers
- Team in possession look to retain ball, transfer possession forwards to support player, looking to receive, turn & supply T player at opposite end.
- Rotate players frequently to retain defensive intensity.
- Speed & angle of approach.
- Mental concentration & alertness.
- When pressing: body shape; head still; see ball; good balance & footwork
- See man & ball
- Block stance in front of ball & blocking with correct foot.
- Composure & no fouling
- Defensive support from players behind: where, when & how to press & mark.
- Simple progressions for this practice are:
- Introduce additional box in middle with 4 extra players, organized 2v2.
- T’s can pass anywhere into practice area
Key Coaching Points:
- Where, when & how to initially press ball.
- Quick support from supporting D’s to pressurize.
- Communication & adjustment to positions in relation to ball
- Looking interceptions
- Forcing errors from the man on ball.