- Area 50x40yds set-out in three areas with goals at each end, as illustrated.
- 14 players (incl. 2GKs), with Defenders initially having a 3v2 advantage in own half.
- Practice starts with: GK rolls ball-out to Attacking team.
- Play has to build through mid area, with one A able to enter to make 3v1.
- Play moves into D’s half with 2A’s able to join-in & make 4v3 advantage.
- D’s have to prevent A’s from scoring whilst outnumbered.
- If D’s gain possession: they look to quickly counter-attack opponents.
- Roles of players changes when play is reversed.
- Allocation of marking & covering roles when having defensive advantage.
- Early decisions as to who confronts the player in possession when ball enters defending third & roles of other D’s.
- Pressing ball & deflecting attacking play away from central goal scoring areas when outnumbered.
- Constant changes of role & responsibility.
- Maintaining safe defensive structure when counter-attack is initiated.
- Simple progression for this practice is:
- D from middle zone can recover to the defending zone, to make 4v4.
Key Coaching Points:
- D’s organize strategy with numerical advantage of 3v2.
- Quick re-organization required to deal with numerical disadvantage of 3v4.
- On gaining possession: quick adjustments necessary to initiate counter-attack.
- U12 – The players should be able to complete the Learning outcomes in 4v4 functional practices.
- U13 – The players should be able to complete the Learning outcomes during under loaded functional practices
- U14 – The players should be able to complete the Learning outcomes during under loaded functional practice and SSG
- U15/16 – The players should be able to complete the Learning outcomes during under loaded functional practices and 11 v 11 games.