Create a 4-cone box with each cone being5 to 7 yards apart. Players will be in three lines, one offensive and two defensive lines. The first player in the offensive line will have a football.
On the coach’s command, players will meet in the box. The offensive player attempts to get past the defenders as they try to pull a flag. Players should switch lines after their rep.
Key focus points
- Defenders: move quickly to the ball carrier and break down when closing the gap.
- If tackling head up, get “big” with arms out as you stay in front of the ball carrier to pull his flag.
- Focus on the ball carrier’s belly so you don’t get juked.
- Keep feet “buzzing” (moving).
- Always keep ball carrier inside your outside shoulder as you have help on the inside with your teammate. Use teammate as leverage to successfully get a flag pulled.
- Use different speeds to create an opportunity to either run past defender or cut-back to pass the defender.
- Use jukes, stutter steps, and spins when appropriate.